Academic performance and achievement
Burnside State High School is driven to continue improving on what we are already achieving. The school community is very proud of Burnside State high School’s achievements in 2020 and community confidence is very strong in Burnside State High School being the school of choice. The year 12 achievement outcomes place us as a top performing school. Burnside State High School has had 100% of our students graduate with a qualification. We were also a finalist for the State Showcase Awards for Excellence in the Senior Phase of Schooling and also were the State winner for Showcase Awards for Excellence in Innovation for the STEMM program in 2012. Burnside State High School had a very productive and successful year in 2020 with significant progress achieved in implementing the key strategic objectives detailed in the school’s 2020 Annual Implementation Plan.
A snap shot of key strategic goals achieved in 2020 include:
- Literacy & Numeracy blocks using SRA program to support improvement in NAPLAN.
- The Implementation of the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Framework with comprehensive school based planning developed and implemented for all year levels.
- Developing Performance SATE Framework and Individual Learning Plans for all staff.
- International Schools Program has seen enrolment numbers as a regional school increase.
- Establishing the first sister school in India.
Senior Phase student outcomes included
- 100% of Year 12 students attained a VET qualification
- 100% of Year 12 students attained a QCE (Queensland Certificate of Education)
- 100% of Year 12 students achieved an ATAR, QCE,Q CIA or VET qualification
Overall, 2020 was a very successful and very positive year for the school. Our Year 12 students who graduated in 2020 provided outstanding results in a range of performance measures with 100% achieving a QCE, QCIA, ATAR or VET qualification.
Parent, student and staff satisfaction with the school
The atmosphere at Burnside State High Schools reflects a school-wide commitment to purposeful successful learning. Staff morale is high. There is a strong focus on quality learning and on the creation of a culture in which all students are expected to learn successfully, in their own ways and at their own pace. Individual talents are valued. All students are engaged in challenging and meaningful learning. Parents, school leaders and teachers work together in a mutually supportive way and there is a strong sense of belonging and pride in the school. A strong collegial culture has been established. The overall satisfaction of parents, students and staff is clearly evident in the School Opinion Survey results and on the increasing enrolment growth.
Burnside State High School has a very supportive school environment which caters for the full range of students. The culture at Burnside is focused on positive relationships and respect and is clearly linked to our core values of Care, Consideration and Co-operation. The Responsible Behaviour Plan is supported by well-structured and consistent processes for classroom and grounds participation.Burnside State High School is clearly providing a safe environment as demonstrated by student and parent satisfaction. This includes satisfaction for school climate in all areas above the state average for parents and students as demonstrated below:
- 94.3% parents satisfied that their child likes being at this school
- 88.5% parents satisfied with behaviour of students in this school
- 96.2% parents satisfied that their child is safe at this school
- 98.1% parents satisfied that the school works with them to support theirchild’s learning
- 96.2% parents satisfied that the school is well maintained
- 98.0% parents satisfiedthat the school is interested in my child’s well-being
- 91.7% students satisfied that their teachers expect them to do their best
- 90.9% students satisfied that their school work challenges them
- 96.7% students state they are getting a good education at this school
We are very pleased with the high levels of confidence that the students have in the school. This result reinforces that our strong focus on students discipline and support, against bullying and social and emotional development are having a great impact in terms of ensuring a positive, safe and respectful environment for all.