Volleyball has been a major sport at Burnside State High School for the past 18 years during which time it has been an extra-curricular activity. The creation of this program has brought volleyball into the mainstream curriculum giving students an opportunity to pursue sporting excellence within the curriculum.
The creation of the Pursuit of Excellence Studies: Volleyball course in 2003 has brought volleyball into the main stream curriculum rather than have it solely as an extra curricula element in the school. (Which it has been since 1991) This has given students the opportunity to pursue Sporting Excellence within a school environment.
Students in the Volleyball Program complete the full range of subjects offered at Burnside State High School. Through involvement in the Pursuit of Excellence Studies: Volleyball program students will develop a strong set of values and virtues such as: self-belief, discipline, leadership, responsibility, confidence, commitment, loyalty, integrity, courage and the ability to work as a team member towards common goals.
All Year 7 and 8 students will have the opportunity to apply and then trial for a place in the Year 7 and 8 Pursuit of Excellence Studies: Volleyball class during term 2. The class begins at the start of Semester 2. We currently have Pursuit of Excellence Studies: Volleyball (PESV) in Year 7, 8, 9 and 10.
We have had significant successes since the course began, including:
- Volleyball has been established at Burnside since 1991, and we have been ranked in the top 5 in Qld since 1995 (as high as #1) and ranked in the top 20 nationally since 1993.
- Over the past 30 years, Burnside High has produced 341 Regional players, 64 Qld players and 20 National players.
- Since 1991 and then 2003 when Volleyball became a subject at Burnside SHS we have won 77 State Championship Medals and 25 National Championship Medals. Burnside has been ranked as the Champion Volleyball School in Queensland.
- In 2020 Burnside High had 14 students (out of a possible total of 40) represent the Sunshine Coast Region at QSV 16-19 & 12-15 State Titles.
- Burnside High has won as Overall Champion school the Sunshine Coast Schools Volleyball Championships (Trish Buckley Shield) 16 times
For more information please visit Burnside Volley Bandits.