Volleyball has been a major sport at Burnside State High School for the past 18 years during which time it has been an extra-curricular activity. The creation of this program has brought volleyball into the mainstream curriculum giving students an opportunity to pursue sporting excellence within the curriculum.
The creation of the Pursuit of Excellence Studies: Volleyball course in 2003 has brought volleyball into the main stream curriculum rather than have it solely as an extra curricula element in the school. (Which it has been since 1991) This has given students the opportunity to pursue Sporting Excellence within a school environment.
Students in the Volleyball Program complete the full range of subjects offered at Burnside State High School. Through involvement in the Pursuit of Excellence Studies: Volleyball program students will develop a strong set of values and virtues such as: self-belief, discipline, leadership, responsibility, confidence, commitment, loyalty, integrity, courage and the ability to work as a team member towards common goals.
All Year 7 and 8 students will have the opportunity to apply and then trial for a place in the Year 7 and 8 Pursuit of Excellence Studies: Volleyball class during term 2. The class begins at the start of Semester 2. We currently have Pursuit of Excellence Studies: Volleyball (PESV) in Year 7, 8, 9 and 10.
We have had significant successes since the course began, including:
- In 2014 Burnside High had 15 students (out of a possible total of 40) represent the Sunshine Coast Region at QSSV Open and U16 State Titles.
- Daniel Campbell from our 2014 Open Boys Team represented Queensland at the Trans-Tasman Volleyball Championships in June on the Gold Coast.
- Volleyball has been established at Burnside since 1991, and we have been ranked in the top 5 in Queensland since 1995 (as high as #1) and ranked Nationally since 1993.
- Over the past 25 years, Burnside High has produced 288 Regional players, 60 Qld players and 20 National players.
- Since 2003 when Volleyball became a subject at Burnside SHS we have won 54 State Championship Medals and 21 National Championship Medals. Burnside has been ranked as the Champion Volleyball School in Queensland three times in the past 10 years.
- In 2016 Burnside High had 10 students (out of a possible total of 40) represent the Sunshine Coast Region at QSSV Open & U16 State Titles.
- In 2015 Burnside High won the Sunshine Coast Schools Volleyball Championships (Trish Buckley Shield), Burnside finishes with five Gold Medals and the Overall & Senior and Junior Championship Honours again!
- Burnside High has won the Sunshine Coast Schools Volleyball Championships (Trish Buckley Shield) 13 times.
For more information please visit Burnside Volley Bandits.